Rotomairewhenua Taiao Scholarship
The Rotomairewhenua Taiao Scholarship was created in 2021 to invest in the the future taiao interests of the iwi. The scholarship is open to registered iwi members studying towards a tertiary qualification majoring in an environmental field.
Rotomairewhenua is a significant wāhi tapu site for Ngāti Apa ki te Rā Tō. The pure waters recognised as the clearest in the world, are where our tīpuna would cleanse the remains of our people who had passed on. From here they would lay them in sacred burial caves and their spirit would follow the maunga to Onetāhua and return to the ancestral homeland. The waters of Rotomairewhenua represent our aspirations for our taiao, a pristine legacy we envision for our future generations.
Ngāti Apa ki te Rā Tō are actively involved in ensuring we are accountable and responsible kaitiaki of our taiao. This scholarship will incorporate employment opportunities, pathways, internships and mentoring.
Scholarship recipients will receive $5,000 per year towards course fees and $1,000 towards course materials and/or travel per annum for the duration of the course, for up to three years (subject to annual satisfactory completion and submission of results).
One scholarship is available annually, with up to three scholars being funded at any one time.
The successful applicant may have the opportunity to undertake work or an internship (in a paid capacity) for the iwi during course holidays (though no guarantee of work is provided by the Trust).
- Applicants must be a registered member of Ngāti Apa ki te Rā Tō
- Applicants must be attending a recognised tertiary institution in NZ.
- Applicants must be enrolled in an under graduate degree-level course, majoring in the field of taiao.
- The successful applicant will make a commitment to participate and assist with iwi events where possible.
- The successful applicant will provide a report twice yearly to the Trustees of Ngāti Apa ki te Rā Tō. This is a way to offer the Trust an insight into how your tertiary experience is going, any challenges you may be facing, and a chance to share in any successes you may be achieving.
- Scholarship recipients agree to the use of their photograph and summary profile being featured in Ngāti Apa ki te Rā Tō publications and digital media.
- Ngāti Apa ki te Rā Tō has entered into a partnership with the Māori Education Trust which allows our successful grant/scholarship recipients to receive additional funding for their study. As such, the applicant agrees to Ngāti Apa ki te Rā Tō Charitable Trust sharing this application and all associated documentation with the Māori Education Trust, for the purposes of receiving additional funding for tertiary studies.
- The successful applicant is ineligible for further education grants and scholarships from the Trust during the period of receiving this scholarship.
- The Trust’s decision on any application is final.
All information provided by applicants is held by the Trust in accordance with the relevant provisions of the Privacy Act.
If this sounds like you, please enquire via email to email@example.com
Applications must be received at the Ngāti Apa ki te Rā Tō Blenheim office by 5pm on 15th January 2024.